Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Slithergadee

The Slithergadee
by Shel Silverstein

The Slithergadee has crawled out of the sea.
He may catch all the others, but he won't catch me.
No you won't catch me, old Slithergadee,
You may catch all the others, but you wo-

Yes, this poem is part of my childhood. I had forgotten about it, but my mother had made this puppet Slithergadee that went down her arm, and we all loved that thing. And she would recite the poem and use the puppet, pretending to dodge us at certain parts of it, and then at the end, at wo-, she would put the mouth on our face. It was awesome, that puppet.

2 comments:

  1. That's a cute little poem (and tradition). Is the puppet still around? If so, let me see a picture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I wish I still had the puppet, but it's pretty much gone. My mother had been sewing some for her friends, and that's how I was reminded of it, but she gave them away before I posted this. It's a bit of a shame, I would like to show it to you all.

    ReplyDelete